Sunday, December 6, 2009

Delighted

We have a great maintenance staff at our school. They are friendly to everyone especially the children. One of the ladies that works with us always takes a few moments to come to my room and check on me and chat about the day. It makes you feel great knowing that people are there to take care of you. The vocabulary word - delighted- can easily describe how they feel about working at the school.

I can remember one of the men who helps to keep our school clean working on the glass doors and windows. He was scrubbing finger prints off the doors where lots of tiny hands had touched. I said to him, I bet you have to do that so often many times a day. He remarked that he did but that it was worth it to see such sweet small hand prints on the glass. I have been at schools where that same conversation would have gone in a different direction. There would have been a lot of complaining about children touching things and the need for teachers to control them. It is nice to have a group of people who really understand how kindergarten students are.

On Friday, they were also delighted to add additional holiday decorations around the school. Three of the five maintenance workers were in the hallways hanging Santa dolls, blowing up a sponge bob Santa, and placing snowmen around the school. I could see in their faces that they were really enjoying their job. When I asked them about what they were doing, they said they were bringing Christmas joy to the little ones. They were just as delighted to do that as the children were delighted to see all of the fixtures in the hallway.

No comments:

Post a Comment